Sydney Metro City & Southwest extends the new metro network from the end of Sydney Metro Northwest at Chatswood, under Sydney Harbour, through new railway stations in the CBD and west to Bankstown– a total of 66 kilometers of metro rail.
JHCPBG joint venture (John Holland CPB Ghella), was awarded the $2.81 billion contract to deliver the Stage 2 Tunnel and Station Excavation (TSE) Works.
AnewX was awarded piling works for a number of complex underground station boxes across the alignment. A key feature of our proposals was the compact nature of our machinery, which enabled smaller work platforms and safer productive work in very congested Sydney work sites.
Pitt street / McMahons Point / Chatswood / Sydenham Barangaroo
- Works included bored piles to station boxes at Victoria Cross and Pitt Street station boxes
- Temporary works and bored piles for McMahons Point, forming a shaft for TBM extraction and return to Barangaroo
- Enabling works piles to Chatswood and Sydenham
- Specialist restricted access piles within Barangaroo station box with our light weight and compact GEAX foundation machine craned in.
Our client, Built Corporation, in conjunction with their client Walker Corporation, Parramatta City Council and Property NSW broke ground in December 2017 on the 4 Parramatta Square project, signalling the start of construction on the first instalment in the $2.4 billion Parramatta Square development.
AnewX was awarded the contract to construct the complex civil dive structure at Parramatta 4P, adjacent to the live Parramatta rail station. The key to the projects success was the detailed staging planning which used compact piling machines, and when combined with precast bridge techniques, maintained 24/7 access to adjoining stakeholders.
In a collaborative manner, AnewX and Built developed the staging plans and precast methodology to ensure 24/7 access to both Parramatta rail station and the adjoining basement carpark to one of NSW’s most critical infrastructure providers. AnewX undertook all elements of the dive structure, including service relocations and contamination disposal.
One of the innovative strategies employed was the utilisation of a truck turntable at the site access, so that all materials entering and leaving the very restricted site area could always enter and exit in a forward motion.
Parramatta Square / Parramatta NSW
- Traffic management works (TMPs) including work staging plans
- Design and installation of truck turntable for safe entry and exit to site
- Weekly site co-ordination meetings with all affected stakeholders
- Bored piles and shotcrete retention elements to dive structure
- Bulk excavation and disposal, including contaminated materials and relocation and co-ordination of services
- Precast bridge planks including capping beams and parapet walls
- Final traffic hardware to new intersection, including associated line marking.
The original gasworks operated between 1879 and 1970, and the historical operations contaminated soil and groundwater at the site. The remediation involved the ex-situ stabilisation and treatment of around 8,000m3 of contaminated soil.
Works began at the site in November 2018 with all remediation work completed in late 2019. All remaining environmental investigations were completed successfully with the independent Site Auditor issuing the Site Audit Statement for the former gasworks confirming the remediation was successfully completed.
AnewX was engaged by EnviroPacific to undertake design and construct foundation works including the permanent low permeability secant pile cutoff wall, CFA piles to protect buildings of heritage significance and the temporary staged sheet pile box design and construct to enable removal, treatment and replacement of contaminated ground at the old gas works site.
An innovative feature of the sheet pile design was the provision of an external steel capping waler with associated adjustable props. This feature ensured the excavator could access all of the soil against the sheet pile for treatment.
- Complete design construct package for both temporary and permanent retaining structures
- Permeability assessments and recommendations for the work.
- Design for external waler system to improve production in the cell remediation excavation
- Development and implementation of all safe work methods collaboratively with EnviroPacific to ensure the safety of the workforce and adjoining public.
These two Projects were awarded to AnewX based on our specialist foundation alternative designs, integrated into a foundation product that would be constructed using our small and unique XD9 foundation machines.
The size and weight of the machine (< than 5T) allowed the XD-9 low head room machines to install foundation piles in both restricted areas in both plan and height.
At the Parramatta wharf upgrade, the conforming sheet pile design was challenging to install in LHR conditions and would have likely caused vibration damage to an adjacent live critical 600mm sewer.
AnewX redesigned a temporary steel tube solution, screwed into place to retain soil, to enable the new revetment works to proceed. This design incorporated a bespoke screw pile joint to enable installation of the steel pile in limited head room. When tendering for the works on the working platforms at Central Station, AnewX designers recognised the opportunity to redesign existing piles to enable installation by our compact LHR XD-9 foundation machines.
In a collaborative environment working with the head contractor, we were able to implement this restricted low head room foundation solution, saving considerable time and money across the project.
Parramatta Wharf NSW
- AnewX alternative pile designs to match unique low head room foundation machinery
- Foundation LHR XD9 machines utilise special drilling tools, designed for medium strength rock
- Parramatta wharf involved the low vibration installation of special segmental liners
- Central Station piles installed under existing canopy, in a live Sydney rail station, without the need for any structural modification.
How can we help you with your Foundation Piling project?
AnewX has been founded with a vision to provide superior foundation solutions for our Clients. We have invested in new specialised equipment with the latest technologies suited to the urban environment of tight limited access.
We are also implementing into our business new ways of developing our employees, managing our equipment fleet, and using low cost cloud based systems to support the whole project life cycle.
Most importantly if the Client has a need we will develop a foundation proposal together to meet budget, time and community constraints.